Salary: £30,000-35,000 together with pension benefits (pro rata for part time staff)
Hours: Full Time
Placed on: 10 January 2020
Closes: 9th February 2020
Ref Code: BNL/10/2019
Award winning and expanding biotech company which has already developed and launched several bio- based products in agriculture, horticulture, forestry and turf and amenity sectors.
Candidate will be involved in developing new product formulations for crop pest control with a focus on microbial microencapsulation technology involving specialist polymers and developing new coatings and formulations.
You will lead on development and optimisation of formulations, including collaborative research with SMEs and Universities, liaise with 3rd party to full scale manufacture and product launch.
Main tasks and responsibilities
Design, conduct and manage the project independently according to GEP/EPPO guidelines, including project management of research and associated outputs
- This includes responsibility for full product development from product concept, including sourcing of materials from competitive and reliable suppliers (ensuring traceability and developing standardisation tests where required), development trials, manufacture, testing, to the release of the final finished product.
Lead the development and implementation of a research programme focused on the development of novel microbial formulation. This includes responsibility for
- Preparation, characterisation, optimization and validation of microbial encapsulated formulations.
- Development and maintenance of active collaborative contacts with other national and international scientists, research groups and institutions.
- Data recording, collection, analysis and report preparation, in line with written Protocol and /or SOPs of the company.
- Awareness and maintenance of company confidentiality requirements.
- Technology transfers
- General laboratory maintenance duties.
- Master/Bachelor’s Science or Life Sciences degree in related subject and/or modules i.e. Formulation Science, pesticides
- Significant experience in pesticide formulation/biopesticide or related industry experience.
- An understanding of the regulatory framework and activities for registering biopesticides/ pesticides.
- Capable of using a broad range of analytical techniques (HPLC, GC, NMR, Chromatography and classical techniques).
Good problem-solving skills
- Communication is a large part of this role. The job holder will require a strong command of the English language and be able to influence and comprehend activities.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Commercially aware.
- Strategic awareness and appreciation of business objectives.
- Highly organized with the ability to plan and prioritise workload effectively.
- Project management skills
- A PhD in chemistry, biotechnology, or related discipline
- Relevant work experience in formulation development and knowledge of nanomaterials /polymers.
- Previous experience within a crop protection industry formulation.
- Previous experience of working within GEP/EPPO guidelines.
Key words: Microencapsulation, Formulation, Development, Process Development, Project Management, Scale-up, Tech Transfer, cGMP, GLP, Liquid Dose, Dosage Forms, Manufacturing, Pesticide Guidelines, Technical Transfer, Manufacture, Biological, Test Methods, Solid Dosage Forms, Capsules, Liquids, Suspensions, Emulsions, powders.
What we offer
- 28 days annual leave including bank and public holidays.
- Pension scheme to which the company contributes.
- Excellent continual professional development opportunities, both internal and external, as a part of our training commitment.
- Bionema is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment.
- Campus learning enviro/West Wales & Gower location/fast growing young company offering the right candidate the opportunity to use their experience at the forefront of research which will make a real difference to the agriculture industry.
Normal hours of work are 37.5 per week. A flexible approach to work is needed as there will be a requirement to work overtime (evenings and weekends) during busy periods.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please send your CV, completed Application Form and Covering Letter, and identifying how you meet the job criteria to email@example.com no later than Friday at 12:00 each week for review.
Download application form here
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK
Successful candidates will be required to complete a basic disclosure check.
Informal enquiries should be emailed to: Dr Minshad A. Ansari firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates not demonstrating their ability to meet the essential criteria will not be assessed for interview.