Field Trials Officer (Biopesticides/Agrochemicals)
Location: Swansea, UK
Salary: Excellent + Benefits
Hours: Full Time
Placed on: 20th September 2021
Closes: immediate start
Bionema is an award winning and expanding biotech company which has already developed and launched several bio-based products for major insect pests of agriculture, horticulture, forestry and turf and amenity sectors. Bionema offers chemical-free, organic crop protection and development of natural products to protect crops from insect damage, reducing the use of synthetic pesticides, enhancing food security, and increasing crop yields.
Field Trials Officer to gather, process, and analyse information vital to the safe and efficacious development of various products for registration
You will be involved in conducting efficacy trials of the developing new biological products for pest and disease management in agriculture, horticultural, turf amenity and forestry, following GEP/EPPO guidelines . You will lead the development and optimisation of field application of formulated and non-formulated products, including efficient collaboration with supporting partners, to full scale manufacture and product launch. You will be the part of a team that is delivering objectives in support of on-going projects.
- Plan, prepare, manage, and organise trials, either on site or at commercial fields, according to GEP/EPPO guidelines, including project management of research and associated outputs.
- Strategic planning of bio-based products, also in relation to regulatory requirements.
- Evaluation of field data and other information submitted to support all aspects of product efficacy including effectiveness, resistance, and crop safety issues.
- Responsibility for bio efficacy trials, ensuring workbooks are maintained and data are entered in a timely manner, and reporting of agricultural crop trials; ensuring those data are accurate, up-to-date, and complete; analyse, write and present reports.
- Data recording, collection, analysis, and report preparation, in line with written protocol and/or SOPs of the company.
- Development and maintenance of active collaborative contacts with other national and international scientists, research groups and institutions.
- Liaise with management, regarding all trials work that is required.
- Awareness and maintenance of company confidentiality.
- Coordinate audit trails and accompany visiting auditors.
What to expect
- The job involves mainly field work in summer, and office or laboratory work in winter, although there may be a combination of both throughout the year in some projects.
- The job is based on enabling communication between the field and the scientist or customer, so meetings and consultations with a range of people regularly form part of the working cycle.
- UK and European legislation mean that paperwork and protocol checks are a feature of the role, particularly at higher levels. Company-level clients have their own protocols/SOPs, which also must be adhered to.
- The role is often physically demanding and may involve using farm machinery. Resilience, versatility, and a hands-on approach are needed to cope with any setbacks, for example adverse weather conditions.
- Travel within the working day is frequently needed, and overnight absence from home may sometimes be required, particularly in the summertime when field work is most active.
- Master’s degree in Agriculture, Biology or Horticulture, Biological science, Biotechnology, or related discipline.
- A certified safe application and handling of pesticides at level PA1/PA6, which demonstrates your competence in the safe use of pesticides.
- 3-5 years of experience in conducting product efficacy trials and delivering efficacy regulatory packages.
- A working knowledge of efficacy in a regulatory framework is essential, while experience of agronomy or practical efficacy in a biopesticide context would be advantageous.
- Practical knowledge of experimental design and statistical analysis.
- Maintain laboratory and field documentation in accordance to required scientific, regulatory, and IPR requirements; write reports, prepare, and communicate with presentations.
- Analyse, interpret and organize data to prepare experimental reports and communicate the results in internal meetings.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, teamwork and communication skills enabling you to collaborate effectively and engage with others.
- A driving licence – needed for most posts.
- Drive, determination, and good planning skills which enable you to deliver at pace and to targets.
- Working outdoors conducting field trials on a variety of crops and indoors in the laboratory & glasshouse involved in the product sample preparation, evaluation, and testing.
- Sound analytical skills with the ability to write/present effective technical information in a clear, concise, and timely way.
- Keep up to date with the literature relating to field efficacy research trials.
- Initiative and decisiveness, supporting your ability to evaluate scientific data to make effective decisions, while being open to challenge and involving others.
- Knowledge and experience of chemicals, biopesticides and/or experience of working in these environments.
- BASIS Registration Limitedcertificate in crop protection.
- A knowledge of the science-based agronomy of major UK and EU crops
- Generic business knowledge and principles
- Strong written and communication skills
- A good level of IT literacy because statistical information plays a key role in decision making
- Physical and mental stamina
- Good organisational skills
- Time management skills
- Enthusiasm for the work
Field Trial Officer, product efficacy, field trials, project planning, biopesticide, formulation, product testing, agrochemicals, and pesticide handling, PA1/PA6, biological pest and disease control, dossier preparation, regulatory requirement, data recording, data analysis, report writing, GEP/EPPO guidelines, agriculture, horticultu
What we offer
- Salaries for field trials officers start in the region of £25,000 to £30,000, rising to around £40,000 when working at a more senior level.
- Decent holiday and pension package.
- Excellent continual professional development opportunities, both internal and external, as a part of our training commitment.
- Company is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment.
- Excellent location and work environment.
Normal hours of work are 37.5 hours per week. A flexible approach to work is needed as there will be a requirement to work overtime (evenings and weekends) during busy periods
How to apply
To apply for this position, please send your CV, completed Application Form and Covering Letter, and identifying how you meet the job criteria to email@example.com no later than Friday at 12:00 each week for review.
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK.
Candidates not demonstrating their ability to meet the essential criteria will not be assessed for interview.