Formulation Scientist / Chemist: Agrochemicals / Biocontrol
Here at Bionema Ltd, we have an opportunity for a Formulation Scientist to join our team based in Swansea. You will join us on a full-time, permanent basis in return for a highly competitive salary.
Bionema Ltd is a leading biopesticide technology developer, specialising in chemical-free, biological crop protection for safe and sustainable agriculture. Our purpose is to invent new biological products and commercialise naturally occurring microorganisms to protect crops from pests and disease in agriculture while reducing the use of synthetic pesticides, minimising the environmental impact, and increasing crop yields. The company manufactures and commercialises biocontrol products for the horticulture, turf amenity and forestry sectors, providing training aimed at increasing product efficacy.
The successful candidate will be involved in developing new product formulations for pest and disease management with a focus on the development of microbial-based formulations involving specialist biopolymers and developing new coatings and formulations. Based at Swansea University, the Formulation Scientist role is ideal for an accomplished formulation chemist with a background in new product development.
You will take the lead on projects aimed at the development and optimisation of formulations, including collaborative research with SMEs and Universities, liaison with third parties for full scale manufacture, and product launches.
- Providing technical leadership in formulation technology for microbial products and developing practical and cost-effective formulations that enable commercialisation.
- Managing day-to-day formulation research and development operations.
- Designing and conducting formulation and downstream processing experiments toward optimising bioactivity, physical properties, and stability.
- Evaluating formulation options and technical feasibility for optimal delivery and seed safety of microbial products.
- Creating scalable microbial formulation processes and specifications for product registration and manufacturing.
- Providing high quality technical activities and formulation prototypes for lab, greenhouse, and field testing.
- Preparation and delivery of reports, SOPs, and technical presentations for project meetings.
- Contributing expertise and insight on formulation technology to global research and development operations and strategic planning exercises.
- Degree in chemistry, biochemistry, food science or similar related scientific subject. PhD in biotechnology, applied microbiology or biochemistry, bioengineering, food engineering, pharmacology, or related discipline.
- 3-5 years of industrial experience in biological/agrochemicals formulation for agriculture use, with a track record in formulation chemistry in the laboratory.
- The ability to appreciate the commercial factors of a product-driven role.
- Experience in the formulation of biological/agrochemical products, and familiarity with technologies such as freeze-drying, SSF, SC, SE, WP, SSF, liquid, granulation, emulsion, encapsulation, etc.
- The ability to work independently and safely in a chemical, microbial or biochemistry lab environment
- Strong analytical, communication, and leadership skills.
- A team–player in a fast-paced working environment.
- Good organisation and communication skills, with an attention to detail.
- A problem solving and scientifically curious nature.
Microencapsulation, SSF, SC, WP, SE, Microbial formulation, Development, Process Development, Project Management, Scale-up, Tech Transfer, cGMP, GLP, Liquid Dose, Dosage Forms, Manufacturing, Pesticide Guidelines, Technical Transfer, Manufacture, Biological, Test Methods, Solid Dosage Forms, Capsules, Liquids, Suspensions, Emulsions, powders.
Salary and benefits:
This position will include a competitive salary, stock options, standard company benefits, and the opportunity to represent Bionema at conferences and industry network working events.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please send your CV, completed Application Form and Covering Letter, and identifying how you meet the job criteria to email@example.com no later than Friday at 12:00 each week for review.
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK
Candidates not demonstrating their ability to meet the essential criteria will not be assessed for interview.