UniSpore, a bioinsecticide technology, is our core unique technology, inspired by fungal strains found in nature. Bionema’s product foundation is clearly focused on the development of naturally-occurring microorganisms for the control of insect pests and diseases.
What is UniSpore?
Bionema’s technology, known as UniSpore® is based on naturally-occurring, environmentally-friendly microorganisms (insect killing fungus) originated from nature and developed for the control of insect pests affecting the agriculture, horticulture, turf amenity and forestry sectors.
- UniSpore® is a natural insect-killing fungus isolated from dead wireworm insects
- Bionema owns the patents behind UniSpore® and the formulation technology
- UniSpore® provides a wide range of solutions to support the agricultural needs of growers by providing an alternative to chemical pesticides, which promote food safety, human health and the protection of the environment.
How Unispore works
Infection by the fungus is dependent on the adhesion of the fungal spores or conidia (active ingredient) to the insect. However, adhesion and infection are often problematic, and it is here that Bionema has developed a unique method of formulation of this fungus where it is encapsulated.
This method aids the adhesion of the fungal spores to the insect cuticle, thereby increasing the efficiency of its pathogenic properties.
The product can be applied either directly to the soil, or via foliar spray. In other words, the insect control enabled by the newly developed biopesticide is not ingestion dependent. Upon attaching itself to the insect cuticle, the product then penetrates the exoskeleton and kills the insects without entering the wider environment.
The most innovative aspect of this product is that it is completely safe to the environment while ensuring control of a wide variety of pests, offering excellent efficacy under the right environmental conditions.
The technology has already shown very positive results against economically important pest species, such as thrips, aphids, whiteflies, caterpillars, the large pine weevil, vine weevil, leatherjackets and wireworms etc. It also provides control against insects (midges, tick mosquitoes) transmitting disease to humans and animals.
The non-toxic product is designed to be applied to insects directly, thus making this technology perfectly safe for humans and animals and allowing it to be used for efficient insect control throughout the entire season. The technology can be readily adapted for both conventional and organic markets.
The product is based on a non-toxic biological material found within a naturally occurring organism. In general, the technology can be viewed as an intelligent method of pest control, suitable for a wide range of applications within agriculture, horticulture, amenity/sports turf and forestry. The technology offers competent and inexpensive pest control solution for a wide range of insect species.
Benefits of Bionema technology
- Our technology does not use any chemicals that are harmful to the environment and it has no harmful effects on beneficial insect species
- Our fungi are obligate parasitic, which means they will not harm other beneficial insects – unlike some other methods of control
- Non-toxic to workers, users and consumers, making them safe for use in any environment
- Fungi can be mass produced on artificial media for field application
- Can be applied in isolation or as part of an Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
- Residue free
- No insect resistance issue
- Safer environmental footprint.