For biological control of leatherjackets in amenity/sports turf and landscaped areas
NemaTrident®L (Autumn) is a highly effective insect pest control for leatherjackets – crane fly larvae – which feed on grassroots.
Used as part of our unique Tri-Component System, NemaTrident®L (Autumn) provides 70-90% kill rate – making it the most effective and flexible product during Autumn
NemaTrident®L (Autumn) contains the entomopathogenic nematodes (EPN) (steinernema carpocapsae). EPNs exhibit highly virulent traits, which ensure fast and effective control of their target pest. We have identified the most effective nematode that targets early-stage leatherjackets to provide you with the best control.
NemaTrident®L (Autumn) application alongside Nemaspreader® – our biocompatible wetting agent – will help facilitate nematode dispersal through the soil to effectively find and kill the leatherjackets.
Our specialist advice offers key guidance on how to store the nematodes, suggests effective application methods to get the nematodes direct to your target pest and advices when best to apply the nematodes at the most vulnerable stage of the pest lifecycle.
This product can also be effective against the following pests:
- Leatherjackets (tipula paludosa/t.oleracea)
- Mole crickets (gryllotalpa gryllotalpa)
- Cutworms (agrotis species)
Available in for different treatment areas:
- 50 million (100sqm)
- 250 million (500sqm)
- 500 million (1000sqm)
Once the nematodes have been applied into the soil, they start to kill the target larvae following a natural four-stage process:
- Nematodes actively search for the insect larvae and penetrate via natural openings
- Once inside, they infect the larvae by releasing a deadly bacterium which quickly multiply and kill the larva.
- Next, the nematodes feed and reproduce inside the dead insect larvae. Populations can reach up to 100,000 over a few days
- Finally, a new generation will emerge from the dead larvae and search for a new insect larva – repeating the cycle.
Over time, populations of these beneficial nematodes will build up in the soil offering natural protection.
We have optimised this process by developing a unique Tri-Component Solution, which is 20-30% more effective than other nematode products in the market:
- NemaTrident®L Autumn specially developed, highly virulent strain of beneficial nematodes
- Nemaspreader® biocompatible wetting agent which helps the nematodes disperse in the soil reaching their target.
- Specialist customer-focused training and advice fon how to optimise the effectiveness of the nematodes.
- Do it direct Apply directly to the soil or growing media. If applied over foliage, irrigate to wash the nematodes into the soil
- Time it right Apply the nematodes when the leatherjackets are at their most vulnerable; during autumn, this is late September to early October
- Check the weather! Apply when soil temperatures are above 14 oC for at least three to six hours per day, for the following two weeks.
- Keep it cool Store nematodes at 5-10 oC up until use. Use within eight to 10 weeks of arrival.
- Nice it moist Irrigate the soil or growing media before the nematodes are applied
- Mix it up Nematodes should be applied with at least 500-1000 litres of water/ha alongside Nemaspreader®
- Do the splits Our recommended split-application approach – two applications one week apart – will reduce the amount of nematodes needed, while achieving greater results.
- Cost-effective control for high efficacy
- Increased profit from greater leatherjacket control
- Safe and environmentally-friendly approach to pest control